At The Rug Experts, you get a committed team of professionals with the expertise of generations. We’ve been in the carpet and rug industry since its beginnings in Turkey and have accumulated a wealth of knowledge that ensures your rug is handled in the right way.
We’re the first to admit that just by looking at your rug it’s difficult to tell if it needs to be cleaned. However, minute particles of dirt and grime build up and shorten the lifespan of all rugs, especially antiques.
In fact, with each person that walks onto your rug the dust and other particles are pressed deeper into the strand and fibres causing them to become compressed and then stick to one another, accelerating the wear and tear.
Our experience tells us that you should have your rugs or carpets professionally cleaned once every two years. We also recommend you rotate the rug every year so the foot traffic is shared evenly over its surface.
It’s important to know that not all cleaning methods are the same. In fact, some can permanently damage your rug and some methods can even affect your health. At the Rug Experts we go through a comprehensive process that includes the following stages:
1. We separate the handmade from the machine-made rugs and carpets. This is vital as handmade rugs are more sensitive and need extra care when being cleaned.
2. We check for past repairs or restoration work – as well as any current damage – to minimise the risk of any further damage.
3. We remove dust and foreign objects from the rug using a Rug Dusting Machine* (if suitable). Alternatively, we use specialised vacuum cleaners.
4. We then test for ‘colour fastness’. If the colours are found to run, we use special methods.
5. We then check to see if there are areas that are more soiled or stained than others. If necessary we pre-treat those areas before the actual cleaning begins. Please note, some stains like pet stains may not be able to be removed as the process involved may permanently change the colours of the wool.)
6. We neutralise smells and pet odours using products that will not damage the rug or carpet.
7. Rugs and carpets are then hand washed with one of several methods depending on their type, age, colour fastness and thickness.
8. After hand washing we remove the excess water using a special Rug Spin Dryer. The rug is then moved to our drying room where the rug’s moisture levels are tested each day until completely dry.